[OzzModz] Game Thread Starter

[OzzModz] Game Thread Starter [Paid] 2.1.8

No permission to buy ($30.00)
I've just downloaded this addon but it only gives me version 2.0.1

You must validate your XenForo license to see quoted content
My bad. I forgot to update the "UPDATE" version. It should download properly now.

I was thinking it would be nice to leaving a custom space/box for publicizing the game download /purchase link?

So I am kind of wanting to monetize the link like an ad like when you see the link provided you'll see the game download link was converted into a sig/banner with the download link

https://www.cozworld.com/threads/killing-floor-2.86830/

For creating the banner link I use the s9e Media Sites addon https://xenforo.com/community/resources/s9e-media-sites.5973/

It pulls the information from Steam and auto created the link with the price so I am guessing it is static and prices update when ever they change and page is refreshed

I just think it would look better at the bottom of the main Game Starter Post.

gamelink.png

That looks like it was added to your post with a custom BB Code.

Can you verify that? And what is content of the BB Code that was used?

Since that is generated in a post when it is made, it can't be included in the game info. That info is not a thread/post, it's an addition to the top of the thread and it is not processed as a post.

The easiest way to demonstrate what I mean is to disable the game thread starter add-on. You will no longer see the game information in game threads.

Ah, well my fear with that entire system is what if you're not around and everybody has your addons and XF2 has an update that might cause issues with your addon then what would happen if we had to disable your addon! :eek:

Then you disable it and wait until I am around.

But seriously. The odds of XenForo doing something that far out where the display would stop showing or threads would stop being created WHEN I'M NOT AROUND is so low that it's not even an issue to consider.

And the same holds true with any add-on by any author, not just this one. So, it's something that shouldn't even be considered unless you're paranoid. And if your paranoid, you shouldn't be running any add-ons because every add-on out there can fail with a change by XenForo. :D

The main thing putting me off this add-on currently is the source of the data, who have opted to separate each game to each different platform. For how I would like my setup, this would require pretty much adding new threads to a moderation queue with a lot of editing.

Could I please request an option to choose the source, with a second option of https://www.igdb.com/api for example? They list one entry per game, and list all of the platforms it has been released on. It feels a bit more aligned with the other starter add-ons.

Alternatively, how easy would it be for me to customise the script myself to achieve this with only basic PHP knowledge?

Thank you in advance.

Sorry, there won't be an option for which source to use. The data returned is in an entirely different format and supporting more than one data format would not be able to be reasonably done.

Converting/Customizing this add-on for another data source would not be an easy task. All of the calls for data, the decoding of the data, the storage of the data and the display construction would all need to be re-done.

May I ask how it would require you to add new threads to the moderation queue?

You can limit what platforms are able to be posted on a per forum basis. So, I'm not sure why you would need to moderate the threads.

For example, if I removed the "All Other Games" forum on this site, you would only be able to post games for the PC, Playstation and X-Box platforms. All other platforms would not be allowed and the user would receive an error telling them that.

I would have a single "Game database" instead of one forum for each. Additionally I would want to change the Platform from the single platform of the entry, and edit it to show all platforms.

Heck, I don't even know if the above can be done - Admitedly I haven't looked into editing movie/music entries themselves on the other mods (because they are perfect for my wants!)..

PM me if you would be interested in custom work on this, but appreciate you may not be available. Thanks.

The platform can't be edited.

While I can see where you want to go with your idea, you have to remember that screenshots, features, abilities, etc. vary widely between platforms. So screenshots and features from an Android version would be totally different from the X-Box version. So I can see an argument for separating the platforms too.

Ah, glad I asked before making the purchase!

Absolutely understand the other side of the argument, but the "target audience" I am aiming the site at would use the database for discussing primarily PS4/Xbox/PC where differences are minimal.

I have the database as a sub-forum of a gaming discussion forum, where more "open" discussion can take place including Android and iPhone games.

While you could have PS4, Xbox and PC games all allowed in one forum, the risk would always be there of a duplicate game being posted under one of those platforms (3 duplicate threads would be possible).

platforms.png

Yep, which is why ideally I wanted to use a source with a single entry that listed the different platforms instead of an entry for each platform.. :D

Nevermind, it is unfortunate that this mod isn't for me at present, but I will look to see if I can figure out an alternative - even if I have to save up the pennies and fund its development.

Snog Snog bro I get an Error if i try to install the Addon. XF 2.0.4

Code:
You must validate your XenForo license to see code

Back