[OzzModz] Game Thread Starter

[OzzModz] Game Thread Starter [Paid] 2.1.8

No permission to buy ($30.00)
You must validate your XenForo license to see quoted content
You have 'Use forum platform limiting' checked in the add-on options but don't have any platform selected for the game forum you're trying to post in (Forum->Nodes->The node you're trying to post in).

Or someone was posting in that forum while you were setting up the add-on and there were no platforms selected for any forum at that point in time.

Reactions: MFA
The games database has changed their API and this add-on will no longer work in it's current state.

I have requested an API key from TGDB and as soon as I receive it, I will begin the process of changing the add-on so it will once again work with TGDB.

UPDATE 1: As of July 2, they are still in Beta and I have not received an API key.

As of today I now have an API key for the new game database API.

Since today is a holiday, I will begin adapting the system to the new API tomorrow.

Well, there are some really strict monthly rate limits on the API that I can't do anything about. I am trying to get them to increase the rate limit, but I don't think I'm going to have any success.

To keep API calls to a minimum, I may have to make obtaining screenshots and fanart optional because they require a separate API call to get them. And, to keep the number of games that can be posted as high as possible, that would be the only solution at the moment.

The update is pretty much complete.

I'm waiting to release it pending the result of a discussion on their site about the monthly rate limit. And I'm hoping to have that settled by Monday.

That sounds fantastic!
Would having my own api key help?

If for some reason they don't change the rate limits and it becomes an issue with this addon, Would you consider adding an option to use IGDB.com for game data?

No, having your own key wouldn't help. What's in contention is what I consider to be a low limit (by IP address).

Using IGDB as an option has been suggested before. The two APIs are totally different and return different information in a different format. So, it would not be added to this add-on.

Before purchase I want to ensure that I read the update log correctly... if I install this add on and pull game data to a forum, I am unable to promote the resulting post to an article within XenPorta 2? This would be a great tool for keeping fresh content within the XenPorta2 articles system.

That is correct. The game thread starter is not compatible with XenPorta because, unlike the other thread starters, games do not use the first post in a thread to hold the game information.

Thanks for the heads up, Snog Snog - it would be an awesome content provider for sites. Is there any way to work around that or with that - maybe in a future release to try and create some compatibility? I don't know about others, but I know for myself running a fledgling game community, content is my biggest concern and the ability to have a "homepage" (XenPorta) which adapts to all our themes and can display engaging content to promote interest...that's a huge game changer.

If possible, someday, that would rock until then thanks for continuing to pump out awesome add-ons.

Unfortunately backwards compatibility would be lost if I were to do that. So, I don't foresee it changing.

Blah this was one of the main things I loved about your addons was to promote them to XenPorta 2 Articles...

I was thingking my site was messed up... So sad I spent a lot of hours on the Game Database fixing and adding Games!

But I can promote them with the Theme House Word Press addon but Theme House never released anything to transfer all my Articles so I am not using it for Home yet...

You can do it with the other thread starters, just not this one.

I would suggest double checking if the game itself is being made an article in the TH WP add-on, or just the first post in a game thread. I don't recall if I ever gave this add-on to TH, but it's possible I did and they correctly coded the WP add-on to pull the info from the game table.

Getting this message showing when trying to post a game. The error message is blank after the :

I then get the following errors on the admin side. I'm assuming it's due to the latest XenForo release.

Code:
You must validate your XenForo license to see code

Code:

Something odd is going on and it has nothing to do with the XF update.

It's saying a part of the response doesn't exist when it does ('code')...
Code:

I'm going to have to research why it's happening. Once I find the problem, I'll post an update.

I'm getting the same error here, but not on my development server, which is odd because the servers are setup identically.

There was a minor problem with the TGDb API call in version 2.0.5, if you've already downloaded and upgraded to version 2.0.5, download the add-on again and just upload the files to your server.

If you haven't upgraded yet, download and upgrade as usual.

Back