4 - I'll Be Level With You - 3:46
5 - Driftwood - 5:01
6 - Top Rank Suite - 3:41
7 - I'm Your Man - 4:18
8 - Survival - 5:00
9 - One Step Into the Light - 4:26
10 - The Day We Meet Again - 6:16

Overview:
Octave is the ninth album by The Moody Blues, and their first release after a substantial hiatus following the success of the best-selling Seventh Sojourn in 1972. The album proved to be the last for the group with keyboardist Mike Pinder, who departed during the album's sessions, and declined an offer to tour with the group. Pinder had just started a new family in California, and also found that he was not getting along with his bandmates as he had previously. As a result of Pinder's departure, Justin Hayward and John Lodge were forced to play some of the remaining keyboard parts themselves, and Pinder would be replaced by former Yes keyboardist Patrick Moraz in time for their 1979 tour, beginning a new era in the band's history.

Octave was considered a departure from previous Moody Blues albums, mainly because the group's use of lounge-style organs and synthesisers in place of a Mellotron or Chamberlin (Pinder's song "One Step Into the Light" referenced the Mellotron). Real strings were used on three songs: "Under Moonshine" and "I'm Your Man" (both written by Ray Thomas), as well as "Survival" (written by John Lodge).

Released after a considerable break, which saw The Moody Blues returning in an era of punk music and disco, Octave evidenced a reduced commercial impact for the band, but reached #6 in the United Kingdom and went platinum in the United States, where the album reached #13. The album produced the hit single "Steppin' in a Slide Zone," which hit #39 in the US, in addition to "Driftwood", which was a smaller success.

In November 2008, the album was remastered and released on CD with five previously unreleased live bonus tracks.

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB
Back