[OzzModz] Registration Spaminator

[OzzModz] Registration Spaminator [Paid] 2.2.0

No permission to buy ($30.00)
You must validate your XenForo license to see quoted content
Might be fun dealing with the time differences, but it's not like you're getting autospammed anyway, correct?

I speculate that this mod is redirecting the bots. Thereby stopping them. But, of course I don't know that. But you're not getting spammed and your spaminator log no longer shows any new entries past the 95?

I think it's going to be awhile before we get an answer, his last post was on September 19th.

I have a suspicion that the pop-up may be inadvertently stopping the bots because they might not be making a User Group selection.

I am unable to replicate this. I tested on my test site, and after I filled in the fields it was indeed logged.

Only thing I can surmise is that the pop-up is blocking automated form submission.

I seem to have a problem since activating this. I have email confirmation turned on and signups appear to be stuck on the 'awating email confirmation' status. I thought it was coincidence but it's happened to the last around 10 signups which can't be coincidence. I've disabled it for the time being.

The forum is only three days old so I don't really have a spam problem but it's already blocked several dodgy signups so that is good.

I am on 2.1 with the Core template from ThemeHouse.

Thanks

Well I don't know now. I posted that then went back to my forum, disabled the addon then checked the user logs and saw that a user had successfully signed up three minutes earlier.

Maybe the string of awaiting email confirmation signups was just coincidence. I just don't know

This addon should not have any affect on user registration and email confirmation.

The Spaminator is just a template edit of the registration form. Exactly like all of the native xf anti-spam registration features like the captcha and timer, are. Exactly like any custom fields you might use. As such they have nothing to do with email confirmation after registration is completed.

Getting the emails confirmed by the user, that's always a crap shoot. First, they have to put in their correct email address with no typos or mistakes. Second, they have to have access to the email account they entered. Third, they have to know to look in their junk folder. Fourth, they have to check their email, find yours, open it and click the link in it. It's not an automatic thing, and certainly is far too inconsistent of a thing by its very nature, to be useful as a troubleshooting sign or even a symptom.

One thing you might do is register a test account on your forum and see if you get the confirmation email. Might even do several.

Ignore my last two posts, you can delete them if you like. It seems have been just a coincidence that several account seemed to get stuck on awaiting email confirmation after I activated this addon as since then there have been no problems at all.

My forum is less than a week old so I thought would not have been on the spammers radar but in 48 hours the Spaminator has blocked 90 spam signups. Fantastic addition, I don't know how anyone can do without it!

How do they get on the radar? I think it's the branding at the bottom of the forum. which makes it easy for spammers to find new sites.

Anyway thxs for your answers Ozzy47 Ozzy47 and Max Taxable Max Taxable

Just like adblock filter lists and subscriptions, there's tons of site lists and subscriptions out there for use with automated spam programs. It's the site URL that's on one or more of these lists, the content/platform is irrelevant. It's not footer branding.

Glad you like the product. We have one that protects the login form and the contactus form too.

And oh yeah I just remembered - when you sign up to use advert services such as adsense and just about all others, you pretty much also signed your domain up to lots of spam lists!

Same is true of just about any other place where you enter your domain name for whatever reason - speed tests, performance evaluations, etc. Even submitting your sitemap to search engines gets you on the autospam lists! It's the gift that keeps on giving!

They didn't find you from the software or its branding. But they are programmed for what protocols to use depending on the platform. They find out what it is from the source code, not the footer branding.

Three weeks on and I can report that the Spaminator has blocked 738 bot signups and counting.

1577742318790.png

Okay most of these may have not got past the email verification but they would still need to have been rejected manually depending upon settings. This is the only security I use for signups apart from email verification. No stupid captchas indentifying fire hydrants and all that rubbish. My users sign up and are straight on the forum... no awaiting validation from an Admin. It's a much more friendly experience for them.

Thanks thanks thanks this addon makes running a forum so much more enjoyable. I have not had one single bot sign up successfully. Ozzy said that would be case. He's right. Get this addon if you are struggling with bot signups as it will 100% solve the problem and you can quote me on that.

I'm up to:
12,716 at my chat site
892 on my dev site
1,092 on a sports site I manage
5,680 here at Song's
2,685 at Ozzmodz before we moved here.

Nothing's gotten through, on any of these.

I recently installed the Contact Spaminator which has stopped all contact form spam in it's tracks, and now installed the Registration Spaminator which hopefully will do the same and make our moderator's lives that bit easier - one question though, where do I find the logs as I can't see a link to them in the ACP ?

Edit: Scrap that, just found that I needed to set permissions...

1579465478313.png

It will be the end of automated spam registrations on your site. Please return regularly with your statistics reports, we love to read those.

Well since you love to read them... forum opened Dec 7th 2019.. installed Spaminator Dec 11th 2019... 3,295 spam logins blocked... awesome. Not one single Bot signup has got through and I have no captcha, just email confirmation enabled

1582403916064.png

Back