[OzzModz] Social Groups

[OzzModz] Social Groups [Paid] 2.1.33 Patch Level 6

No permission to buy ($49.00)
You must validate your XenForo license to see quoted content

Because it's the "wrapper" of Social Groups that we find appealing; the Group Info, Forum, Pictures, Media, Calendar are all great marketing tools for vendor-based forums (really turns it into a "one stop shop,") but we've had both members and a few vendors tell us they don't like "forcing" members to join the group (something about freedom of choice, blah blah lol.) I'm actually 100% with you, I think it's a two mouse clicks and helps the whole package "make sense" especially with a stat block that shows off total members joined; but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask on their behalf. I can see the merit of why it exists that way, we just didn't know if there was an option to override or turn it off.

I take it that it's simply not an available option period then? Out of morbid curiosity, do you offer custom requests or coding?

I appreciate that, thank you to the both of you for the work you've put into these add-ons!

Is there any way to lock group owners from interacting with other groups ...?

We've noticed a group owner from Group A can, when trying to move a thread, move that thread to any other group and it displays all other groups and their subforums as options. We could just turn the move thread option off, but we'd prefer to just have them only able to move threads within their own group space and only see their own group space. It's kind of weird if everyone can see all the forums and subforums and move stuff into them even if they aren't a member, much less mod, of that group.

We have quite a few self-contained groups and it's very annoying to users to have some 20 groups with 3-8 subforums each to weed through to move things around even if they weren't allowed to. :D

There is no option for that. The reason is that group owners must have the ability to move threads out of their group if they belong in another area.

If you are having problems with group owners moving threads randomly into different groups, that would be a disciplinary problem you need to deal with on your site. Or place better restrictions on who can create a group.

Eh, that's fine, I suppose we'll just remove the ability. That's not the capacity we're using groups for, so in our case, not really. We're using groups as self-contained mini-forums for sets of games, essentially, in which the owners/mods need to have the ability to moderate and move things around within their space but not be allowed to see or interact with other spaces.

Groups is a fantastic addon and much better than the alternative of creating individual subforums because members are allowed to start up to two games each for themselves, but they're not (nor should they be) in any position to interact with other groups in any moderation capacity (including moving things to their groups). Any rule-breaking posts, improper content, etc, is meant to be handled by our higher site-wide mods.

(Not that it really matters, I suppose, I just thought you might be interested in knowing different use case scenarios for your product. :D)

The join group button appears automatically when a user can join a group, or when a user is a member of the group the leave group button becomes available to them.

Group owners can not leave a group until they transfer ownership to a another group member so they won't see the leave group button.

Thankyou for the reply.

I was actually asking about a method with which I can display a Xenforo button in the Group Information's description area. Is there a BBCode snippet or some other way to do so?

That's not what you asked in your original post. There aren't any BBCodes to display XenForo buttons.

You would need to edit the templates to display them where you want them. So far as I know, template edits for the add-on are not supported or suggested. So you would be on your own to change the snog_groups_detail template without support.

And as I said to what you asked originally, the join/leave group buttons appear automatically...

groupinfo.png

leave.png

Bug report for version: 2.1.19

As user 1, I can invite user 2 to a group. The invitation message is sent to BOTH players. This allows user 1 to use the "CLICK HERE to join this group." link. This means that user 2 is in the group without having confirmed.

The message "... accepted your invitation" is better solved, because only player 1 sees it.

That's not a bug because the PC is sent by User 1 (which should be the owner of the group) to User 2 which makes them both participants in the conversation. It's how PCs work in XenForo. And it's intentionally left open to allow discussion between the owner and the person being invited, such as to answer any questions User 2 might have about the group.

In the case of the "accepted" PC, the sender (which would be User 2) has the conversation removed from their "in box" so the conversation can't be added to.

Isn't there a better way? The link <xxx/group/test-group.xxx/accept?user_id=xxx> is not very secure either. Is it technically possible that only user 2 can use it? That would be a solution.

Currently it still doesn't seem right to me. I prefer the solution that user 1 leaves the conversation, a discussion is not necessary at this point.

It is possible, but really not needed because the only two users that know about the link existing are User 1 and User 2. And if User 2 wasn't invited, then an error is thrown and nothing happens. If User 1 (the person that invited User 2 to the group) clicks the link, then they need to have their head examined. ;)
Fortunately add-ons aren't built for a single person. They are built to fit the needs/wants of a majority of people.

I have an issue that I haven't been able to figure out.

In my local dev setup, everything is working great. I can create threads and reply to them, no problem.

On my live site I can create threads (group forum feature) but can't reply to them... it says I don't have permission. In the group owner permissions, I have everything set to Yes. I've even tried setting everything to Yes for group member permissions and group moderator permissions, but the permission error remains. The forum category is set to default settings. My primary user group is Registered. I'm administrator so I have full permission over the forum but yet I can't reply to any threads I created in the group. I uninstalled the add-on and re-installed it, created a new group, a new thread, but same problem. Any idea what might be causing this? I'm using version 2.1.19 (and XF 2.1). I do have other add-ons installed, but the same ones are also installed on my local dev setup. Not sure what else to check but maybe you've seen the issue during development and know what can cause it.

Personally, I've never seen this, ever. Especially since the canCreateThread permission check for a forum is virtually identical to the canReply permission check for a thread.

Try analyzing the node permissions for your user for the forum in question and post a screenshot with the Post new thread and Post replies sections expanded like this...

analyze.png

DO NOT change permissions manually to gain access. Your screenshot will tell me if the group system is working properly or not.

I think an add-on must be the cause. Although the same add-ons were working locally that I have installed live, I had uninstalled them all locally earlier today. But then I re-installed them and ran into the same permission problem. I found that one of the add-ons when installed I get the permission issue but when uninstalled the problem is gone. I made a backup of the live forum and database but uninstalling that add-on doesn't fix the issue (even when uninstalling and re-installing the groups add-on).. maybe it's leaving something behind. Or maybe it's just a coincidence. I did check and the canReply doesn't get called when the problem is happening.

Back